Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A conversation about pawn shops, cops, and stolen goods

A friend on twitter had a frustrating experience this week when she saw something that belonged to her at a local hock shop. Here's her recounting of what happened and my response to her. I'm hoping you'll find it interesting or at least a conversation starter. What say you?


My son stoled the tv while I was asleep.(I work nights, sleep days.) When I woke up and noticed it missing, I blewup,and he admitted he took it, and told me where he sold it. I went straight to pawn shop the next morning, thinking if they knew it was stolen they would give it back, probably for 40$ he was given. No deal. They said they owned it now, legally. I filled out a police report same day and was told by cop to "wait", cops would be in touch. I waited 3 weeks, and called for info. "Genifer" from police records dept emailed me a copy of the police report. It stated the tv was taken and listed the case as "closed". I called genifer back and said " its not closed! I want my tv back!" She stated that I should wait, that the cops would go to the pawn shop and bring the tv there, and I could pick the tv up @ the police station! I thought she either had shit for brains or she thought I did. She then hooked me up w/ a cop that hooked me up w/ a cop named jim white who told me to go ask the pawnbroker, david morin, to sell me my own stolen tv back. After 4 trips to his store I was finally able to meet w/ him and the bottem line is, after he spoke w/ jim white, he agrees he will do me a favor and sell me back my own television for 108.50$ on thursday, the end of the 30 day waiting period. So tomorrow I will attempt to get my tv back again, fot the 5th time. I had difficulty meeting up with david because he was in court all day on monday, dealing w/ same situation, son stealing from parents. David in the same breath said he doesn't deal w/ stolen property, and he"really hates to have his time spent in court all day asit takes away the time I could spend at my business.". So we'll see if I actually get my tv back, and in working order. I also found it interesting that one cop is assigned to work with pawnshop who don't deal in stolen property. But I guess the crux of the whole issue was I didn't want to press charges against my son. He's not dealing with a full deck. He didn't see a problem with taking the tv. But I guaranty the next stolen item will land his ass in lerdo. Once I was able to speak with david morin I found him to be nice,and professional. His staff are all assholes,however, and he should educate them on how to deal with victims of theft who outraged over their situation. (....but that negates the premise that pawnshops don't buy stolen property.) So that's basically the story. Keep in mind its from the victims standpoint. The cops told me "no crime has been committed", and I heartily disagree! (I'll take up no more of your time.)


From: http://twitter.com/mysoulishome

Hmm... That's disappointing on the part of the Wooden Nickel. I'll give you my perspective on that type of situation with a recent happening as an example.

So this kid has been pawning a bunch of tools and instruments and things since February. It turns out he is an employee of a local business owner and stole all of it from him. Most of it is his personal property. He is like family to the guy he stole it from. So he confronted the kid and he admitted it and gave him all the pawn tickets.

Now, I know the items are stolen and if protocol is followed the guy will make a police report and get the stuff back and the kid will be prosecuted. The guy and his wife talk it over and decide against letting the legal system have its way with the kid and me being out all the money. Instead they get the kid to agree to enter a one year teen challenge program and the guy pays me my cost (what I loaned on all the items) and no more.

Now, I could dig my heels in and say "I need to collect interest" or "these are my items" or stay tight lipped and say "make a police report, otherwise there is nothing I can do for you" but *I know these items are stolen* and getting reimbursed for the items TODAY is a good outcome for me. After all, the alternative would be the stuff gets confiscated and for me to get any money I'd have to take the kid to small claims court or wait for the court to sentence him and garner his wages for my cost. It would take years. PLUS you don't want good law abiding citizens (like you) walking around thinking you are a crook. Any good pawnbroker knows these things.

However...the kids working at the Nickel are most likely peons with no potential to reason or cut a deal. Plus they've probably been told and taught by experience to stay tight lipped and advise anyone with a complaint to piss off. You can repeat the mantra over and over "My business is legal and ethical. I don't deal in stolen goods. Plain and simple." and it might well be true but in the real world things get complicated and "put up or shutup" will not work.

My advice to you (or anyone) in this type of situation is don't talk to any employee about it and don't bring it up in the store right in front of everyone (customers and all). You will be brushed off and ignored. Ask to see the manager or owner in private and hopefully they will be level headed. Tell them you don't want his (or her) business to be out the money and you don't want to prosecute your family member and they should be willing to work out a deal with you.

If you try to go the legal route...police report...confiscation...court...be ready to keep the pressure on. It can get very frustrating. The one time in 8 years of business I've had this happen...the property sat on my shelf for two years before the case went to trial and after it concluded an insurance company came to relieve me of the goods.

Hope that makes sense. I'd like to think most pawn people are honest and intelligent.

And I'd like to to think I'm in that category but even I have people out there who think I'm a dickhead and a crook. I can't post anything on the Tehachapi News website without one woman attacking me. She is sore because years ago she bought a couple of generic pearl rings that she thought looked like hers. Myself and the cop involved were not inclined to think they were, but I made her a good deal and tried to put it behind me. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment