Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The priorities of children

I have one little hampster cage like this left for sale in my store for $5.

Today this little girl said to me "When I grow up and have my own house I'm going to have a hampster and I'm going to NEED THAT but it's going to be gone."

Obviously she's had the full discussion with her parents. It's only $5! But she can't have a hampster until she grows up. But THEN it's not going to be here. Not fair.

When she left she said "Take care of that for me!" She's probably around 7 years old. The logic of children kills me. And by kills I mean it's really freaking cute.

I remember having a discussion with myself when I was a child. There were so many awesome toys, Toys R Us is FULL of them. But I could never afford any of them. On the flip side ADULTS have tons of money but don't give a crap about playing with toys. This killed me. And by killed I mean made my little soul sad. I sat on my bedroom floor and closed my eyes and chanted to my brain "Don't forget to still like toys when you grow up. Don't forget to still like toys. Don't forget."

I was trying to send a message to my grown-up self. Something I'd receive telepathically, perhaps, at age 22. I'd have a job and a life and one day I'd suddenly run into the toy store and start buying everything in sight. Plastic toys with moving parts. Remote control cars. I can only imagine the stuff MY seven year-old self was thinking of. I can only imagine because now *I* don't give a crap.

I have an iPhone. A laptop. A badass surround sound system. A high definition television.

But I'm going to take a leap of faith and translate for 7 year old me. It's not about the toys. It's about joy. Adults have all of the opportunities but a hampster is a hassle. There is no time to play.

I just want to say...on behalf of seven year old me...and the little girl who wants the hampster... Forget your job and responsibilities. That stuff is temporary and meaningless. Play. Be silly. Be happy. Find your joy. Don't be a douchebag grown-up. Don't forget.

(Me and my sis. Circa...the old days)

2 comments:

  1. :-) Love this, Aaron. And I am wondering wehy the heck I didn't know about this blog of yours?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Amen! I remember having those conversations with my "little" self!! :) Haha.. thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete